Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Favorite Books and Movies of 2007

I wanted to write a little bit about some of my favorite entertainment from the past year. Matt and I rent alot of movies (too many if you ask my dad :), but it is one way that we spend time together and connect at home.


MOVIES
Miss Potter- This is an autobiography of Beatrix Potter. I thought this was a really good, clean movie that was just enjoyable and sweet. Plus it is rated PG which is always a plus for me.

Waitress- I know I am going to get mixed reactions for having this on my list, but I absolutely loved this film. It was funny, sad, happy and just filled with real life moments. It really hit home for me because it went through so many emotions and relationships. It also made us tear up. Very good acting and writing in my opinion. I watched it again later with my mom and sisters and my younger sister had a problem with some of the situations, but I loved it!

Bourne Ultimatum- I really don't need to explain this one, do I?

Amazing Grace- This is a great period piece about William Wilburforce, who fought to end to the slave trade in Britain. Once again, PG and just inspirational how one person's determination can change the world.

The Beauty Academy of Kabul- I have a real interest in the Middle East right now, particularly Afghanistan and Pakistan. This is a documentary about American and English beauticians that set up a beauty school in Afghanistan. It opened my eyes to the women in Kabul and I was touched by their love of life and happiness after all the war and struggles they have faced.


BOOKS

A Mighty Heart by Mariane Pearl- This was a life-changing book for me. I cannot explain how much this book spoke to me and changed my view on so many things. I cried for a whole day after I finished it and have read it twice since. I admire Daniel Pearl so much and his wife, Mariane for continuing to live a happy and full life and for being such an inspiration. I made a copy of her dedication in the front of this book and absolutely love how her tragic story brought the good out of so many different people all over the world.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini- I absolutely loved the Kite Runner (debut novel by this author) and couldn't wait for my local library to get a copy of this book (it took awhile). I absolutely loved this book! It is so good! What a look into Afghanistan and the women that live there. I couldn't put this one down.

Dreams From my Father by Barack Obama- I found this to be well written and insightful.

Night by Elie Wiesel- Unbelievable that the Holocaust really happened. This really astounded me.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls- very interesting memoir and slightly disturbing that a family really lived this way. Somewhat dumbfounding.

Warriors Don't Cry by Melba Pattillo Beals- The story of the fight to integrate a Little Rock High School in 1957. I would like to say that we have come so far, but this book made me wonder if we really have.

All of these books have really made me aware of how blessed I am and how many wonderful things in my life I have to be grateful for. The freedom I enjoy in this country and my wonderful family are two things I hope to never take for granted. It is good to be reminded of how GOOD life really is.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I'm totally gonna have to read some of these- my question is, when do you find the time to read them?! Since 2003, I've kept a place at the back of journal where I record what I've read that year and what I learned from it (very briefly!)- and recently I realized that it's been bare for the past year... I wonder why (baby #3 entered life, need I say more?!) I did read 1 book last year that I recall... A Painted House by John Grisham, pretty good reading for fun.