Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thanksgiving Recipes

I know it probably isn't that big of a deal, but the last two nights Savannah hasn't woken up screaming in the middle of the night and has also slept past 6 am. I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get to sleep for more than 3 hours at a time again, but the past 2 nights have been lovely. She has even fallen asleep in her bed and not on the floor right by the door! Yeah, Savannah! I am really excited about this development in her life.

I was also thinking that I would link up a few recipes that I have tried for Thanksgiving in the past, if anyone is having trouble finding things to fit into their menu or wants to try something different. I will try to keep it short. :)

Recipes I have tried through the years-
Roast Turkey with Sage and Orange Gravy- this a great recipe to use if you are cooking your turkey for the first time. It has a few shortcuts that makes it a little more flavorful and delicious
Broccoli with Lemon Crumbs- nice, different side
Vanilla Sweet Potatoes- twist on sweet potatoes
Apple-Sausage Stuffing- also has a few shortcuts
Rosemary Cornbread
Chocolate Harvest Cake- very chocolately, with a little pumpkin
Sourdough Stuffing with Pears and Sausage- nice twist on stuffing
Pumpkin Pie Cake- I have made this cake twice and it is delicious. Tastes just like pumpkin pie and is light
Blue Cheese and Bacon Twice-Baked Potatoes- delicious
Smoked Gouda Grits-wonderful
Red Velvet Peppermint Cake- really nice presentation
Cinnamon Struesel-Topped Pumpkin Pie- yum!
Triple-Chocolate Cheesecake-worth the trouble
Pomegranate Pound Cake- something a little different


Recipes I want to try this year-
Dorie's Thanksgiving Twofer Pie
Southern Corn Bread Dressing
Shredded Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Hazelnuts
Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut Squash Risotto (probably not, because it is so good, I don't want to share...evil laugh)
Cranberry-Strawberry Jicama Salad
Gingered Ambrosia
Spiced Pomegranate Sipper
Chocolate-Pumpkin Marble Cake
Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cream and Pecan Praline

8 comments:

Kelley said...

I hope you are able to get lots of sleep in the future. It's always nice to be able to sleep through the night. Rachel has quit so I do understand where you are coming from.

Trishelle said...

Mmmm. You turkey recipe sounds divine. You have hooked us up with the scoop on a complete Thanksgiving meal...Thanks!

By the way. I started doing the picture collage you did the other day, but stopped at my name. Apparently the only famous person with my name, tends to pose wearing as little as possible.

Trishelle said...

It's all good, sooooo not your fault...there was really no way of knowing. I hadn't heard of her either.

Becky said...

I don't know about night before last, but Savannah probably slept better last night because she had spoken with Grandma and Papa! I can hardly believe, yet, that she is talking. She is our BABY!
Mar, I might just try one of your recipes for Thanksgiving. Wish you were here for more than one reason.

Kim said...

I wish I was going to be eating with you this Thanksgiving it sounds like you all will be eating well.

Jaime said...

Ok, if you remember Mare, I LOVE our Thanksgiving menu!!! So, if you'd like I can email you my family's southern cornbread dressing recipie (it is way better than cooking light, i am prejudice, though:)heehee!, also, the best pecan pie I have EVER had in my life (sorry Grandma)was at Lady and Sons's- so look up Paula Deen's recipie for that one if you'd like- it is so yummy-the perfect combo of "gooey stuff" and nuts! Oh, and I just had the BEST butternut squash soup from Atlanta Bread Company yesterday- it was incredible!! (can you tell I love thanksgiving dishes?)

Just Us said...

I'm so happy!! Thank you for posting the turkey recipe. I really think I'm going to give it a try, along with a few others from the list (if I'm feeling brave as a chef that day). Now I need to post my soup recipe one of these days!

Amanda said...

I just happened upon your blog and thought I would encourage you to try the Pumpkin Cake with Whipped Cream. I made it last year for Thanksgiving and it got rave reviews! I plan to make it again this year. Make sure you give it time to set in the fridge, and break the pralines into really small pieces (some of mine were a bit big and it made cutting the cake a bit messy).