Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Leila Aboulela- my favorite author right now

I haven't shared much about my favorite books or thoughts lately. I don't know why.

I discovered a new author and I absolutely love everything she has written. Her name is
Leila Aboulela. I randomly picked up her latest novel- Lyrics Alley- at the library and read the inside flap. It sounded pretty interesting, so I took it home and loved it. Her style of writing is so beautiful and the stories I find so very interesting. She writes about her native country, Sudan and presents Islam and Muslims in such a beautiful way. I just really love her books.
I enjoy reading about new places and cultures and also really appreciate a beautiful story that can be told without crude language or explicit love situations.

I have read all of her books, my favorite is Minaret. I am slowly reading her collection of short stories right now, which I had to get through an loan from Emory library. I know she doesn't have anything else published yet, so I am savoring each short story and then I will probably read them again since I have the book for a couple more weeks.

2 comments:

Laura Dawn said...

I just want you to know that you are partly responsible for my never-ending list of books to read. This author will probably be added soon.

Audrey and the Boys said...

I love your interest in that part of the world. I will look for the opportunity to read something from her.